Friday, April 27, 2012

Blog 24: Independent Component 2

Literal
(a)“I, student name, affirm that I completed my independent component which represents 30 hours of work.”  
(b) Explanation of what you completed.
Interpretive
  Over thirty hours of work, I began to learn a new language: French. In order to do this I completed lessons in French in 30 Days by Berlitz and watched several audio/visual lessons on the French alphabet, number, sentence structure pronunciation and grammar. Each lesson took a good two hours to complete and fully understand. Each lesson started with a French story and came with French audio. I'd listen to the audio first, and then I'd interpret the script with the help of Nancy. After the script was interpreted I'd read the script out loud to work on my pronunciation. Then I'd listen to the French audio again to see if I understand it. After listening to the audio there were several French grammar exercises that followed. Apart from learning the grammar and key words and phrases, we also learned a bit about French etiquette such as... how to address certain people, how meals are treated differently, etc.

Applied
How did it help you answer your EQ? 
 This component really helped me EQ because it opened my eyes to a culture different from my own and also helped me feel more comfortable with trying to blend in with another culture. Learning about the different phrases and etiquette really made me realize how different cultures can be. I thought I knew a lot about the French culture, but when I started this component I realized that I didn't know it very well at all.
Grading Criteria
  • Log: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ak8KqhRUkWezdHZHSHM2SnVuLWpENkoxYll0eF9MUWc
  • Evidence: Nancy Attempa

No comments:

Post a Comment